The Apulian agri-food sector offers a variety of quality products that represent the link with the territory, the producers’ skills and local traditions.
In a globalized world, the Apulia Region focuses on the strengths of its products namely typicality and territoriality. The globalization of markets implies new market opportunities for “local” quality products (as opposed to undifferentiated “global” products).
The increasing attention to food quality is a major economic opportunity for the Apulia Region for the following reasons:
• the availability of a rich and varied range of quality agricultural products, together with highstandard food and wine;
• the strong expansion of tourism which has become a driving industry of the Apulian economy;
• food and wine which is, together with the territory and the environment, one of the main tourist’s travel motivations; • the proliferation of biodiversity and production practices are values much appreciated by the consumer;
• Apulian agriculture, with its specificity and potential, best interprets the multifunctional model of agriculture, production quality, environmental sustainability, food security, rural and compatible tourism.
Therefore, with a sustainable development perspective of the territory, the Apulia Region encourages the spread of quality agriculture, in order to strengthen both the position of farmers on the markets, by protecting the names of typical and traditional products against imitations and misuses, and the expectations of consumers, increasingly attentive to product quality and food safety. Regional quality policies for agri-food products pursue the following objectives:
• stimulate the development of quality production, and encourage the qualitative characterization of regional agri-food products;
• protect the healthiness of food and the consumer’s health;
• encourage the growth of the agri-food system through a better positioning of products on local and international markets;
• enhance and protect Apulia’s typical and traditional agri-food products.
Read the complete report here:
REPORT ON BEST PRACTICES ON QUALITY SCHEMES AND CONSUMER HEALTH in Apulia Region